31 March 2008

Another Monday

This really is the best picture I could find of us. Sad that it was taken a year-and-a-half ago. It is so hard to get both of us into a picture these days. Either we are on someone else's camera, or we have to get a stranger to use our camera (and please not drop it in the mud that is so prevalent around here) to take our picture and then who knows how good it is. We may be far away or way to close or have our eyes closed; the stranger doesn't care. Maybe I should get us both dressed up and actually pay someone to take our picture again, but maybe I should wait 'till my hair grows out enough to be manageable.

It has been a very quiet day around here. The mailperson hasn't even come by yet! I miss her/him so much. We did get our rent bill though, so at least that was something. The one dozen divinity puffs haven't really done their job of cheering me up yet either, should I try a dozen more?

I guess I do have a point to this post today. I hate waiting to hear back about an interview. It could be this week, could be the next. Should I apply to a few more just in case these fall through? Should I call again just to be pushy? Should I email another thank you note? Than there's the whole "do I accept right away or leave them hanging a few days while I wait to hear back from someone else," dilemma. Oh year, and I am so tired of people giving me their advice about jobs. I appreciated it when I started this whole mess, but now I have pretty much heard it all and I just have to say, "tried that, yup, tried that; looked there but thanks anyway." Maybe this stems from having new home and visiting teachers ask me about my life yesterday and then proceed to give me all their advice, because basically my life is a mess right now, can't you tell? No offense to the teachers, I know they meant well and only wanted to help, how could they know how I was really feeling anyway?

I think telling someone you still don't have a job is as bad as having to say "no, I am still not married." It's not like it's a one way thing here! I'll be the first to admit that I could be working harder at it (well, I won't be the first but it will happen eventually). I still have a small glimmer of hope that there is something out there for me to do, but the glimmer is fading fast.

I also wanted to pay tribute to my sister-in-law. She has been such an example of faith and hope to me. Just when I thought that my trials were too hard to keep dealing with, she has to deal with probably the biggest trial of her life. And what does she do about it? She reads her scriptures and tells us to have faith and keep praying. She keeps her cool and deals with the situation as best she can; she keeps trucking along. She doesn't get angry or bitter. She recognizes the good in people and sees life from a new perspective. I am so proud of her. She is stronger than any of us knew she was. Thanks for helping me understand what is really important and helping me appreciate the things that I do have even more.

6 comments:

Marcy said...

Oh, that is a great picture of you up top!!! Love it!

Hannah, no one will downplay what you are going through. Job hunting is awful--I actually had some of that same anxiety about a person I was trying to reach this past week. Should I call him? Should I be patient? How can I have any more hope?

We love you. Thanks for your prayers and we pray for you too!

Anonymous said...

Hannah,
I am sorry that we annoyed you yesterday with our job advice. That wasn't our intention. We both agreed later that it seemed like you were getting a little impatient with us. We didn't mean to be so insensitive. Anyway, the reason I was even looking at your blog today is that late last night I was thinking about you and Brad and praying that you would be able to find a job. After several minutes of prayer and contemplation, I came up with what I felt was the perfect solution. You should buy a really nice digital camera and start your own photography business. I have lots of friends back in Utah who have done just that, and they love it. Granted they don't always make a lot of money, but it's a great excuse to get a nice camera. Anyway, that's my new job advice. I hope you appreciate it because it comes from the heart.

Love,
Your Favorite Visiting Teacher:)


P.S. April Fools! This is really N.M. Rat.

Hannah said...

Thanks, N.M. Rat. I love that you gave me advice after I said I didn't want any more. Actually, I now have a job offer and am waiting to hear back from another. It's not exactly what I was looking for but it will keep me busy at least.

Randy and Anissa said...

Hannah, dearest, I'm so so sorry that you're having such a hard time! I'm not going to give you any advice, but just tell you that I love you and think about you all the time, and hope that things are going well for you. Keep me posted, and know that your favorite person in Utah (riiiiight?) is thinking about you!

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

I love your picture. I think (since you want advice!) you should keep it up, even when you do get a great picture of you together.

We've got some great pictures of our honeymoon and then in NYC, etc, where we would take each other's pictures in the same spot, often with coordinating poses, so that later we could paste the pictures together, or at least juxtapose them well, and we had a lot of fun being silly.

It honestly terrifies me to think of applying for a job. And I don't like thinking of myself as a timid person. But job-hunting, or supporting a spouse who is job-hunting, is really tough. (think of this as good experience for empathy when it is Brad's turn). Good luck!

Oh, and my last advice (I know, I just can't help myself, and I am the big sister, you know!)and this is something I've been telling Marcy too, is to TRY not to take rejection (if it comes to you) personally. Not as a reflection of your worth or anything. Only one person determines your worth, and that person isn't a prospective employer, or even a spouse.

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah! I'm so very glad that my name now graces your page! And I won't give you advice either, mostly because no one knows what's going on except for you, Brad I'm sure has a good idea of course :) But I agree, life can suck! And your sister-in-law is definitely my hero too, I wish I had a better attitude about my trials too! But have a better day! You're great! And I hope you enjoyed my first comment on your blog!